This is a low key website (boring to you and me) but it does have the vast proportion of Government services all in one place. Most will be accessible either by post or through a local office in Chell & Chell Heath or with the Stoke-on-trent area - or certainly within Staffordshire. (Cutbacks may have forced the closure some local offices so you may need to travel.)
- Benefits - eligibility, appeals, tax credits plus Universal Credit
- Births, deaths, marriages and care - Parenting, civil partnerships, divorce and Lasting Power of Attorney
- Business and self-employed - Tools and guidance for businesses
- Childcare and parenting - giving birth, fostering, adopting, benefits for children, childcare and schools
- Citizenship and living in the UK - voting, community participation etc.
- Crime, justice and the law - legal processes, courts and the police
- Disabled people - carers, your rights, benefits and the Equality Act
- Driving and transport - vehicle tax, MOT and driving licences
- Education and learning - student loans, admissions and apprenticeships
- Employing people - pay, contracts and hiring
- Environment and countryside - flooding, recycling and wildlife
- Housing and local services - owning or renting and council services
- Money and tax - debt and Self Assessment
- Passports, travel and living abroad - renewing passports and travel advice
- Visas and immigration - Visas, asylum and sponsorship
- Working, jobs and pensions
If you lose the will to live try the Stoke-on-trent Citizens Advice office.
A really great resource for Small and Medium Sized Businesses. There are also articles and guides on:
- Sole trader tax basics
- Limited company tax basics
- VAT calculator
- National Insurance guide
- Business rates
- Self assessment process
They also add to this regularly so you can keep revisiting for the latest information
ACAS is an organisation devoted to preventing and resolving employment disputes. They also run courses which are worth a look.
BERR (Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform) provides a range of practical assistance to business.
This has now become BIS _ Department for Business, Innovation & Skills.
Dept for Environment Food & Rural Affairs. Defra champions Sustainable Development - economic, social and environmental sustainability. Defra is also the focal point for rural policy, supporting strong rural communities.
Boring but important. The Department for Work & Pensions provides services for employers through: Jobcentre Plus The Pension Service Health and Safety Executive and the Health and Safety Commission Child Support Agency Disability and Carers Service.
The ICO's Office is the independent authority set up to promote access to official information and to protect personal information.
ICO covers: The Data Protection Act, Privacy & electronic communications, Freedom of Information Act and Environmental information regulations.
NetRegs provides free environmental guidance for small businesses in the UK, helping you to understand what you need to do to comply with environmental legislation and protect the environment
PRCA is an association for PR consultants but certain areas are useful for small businesses - you can use the Find a PR Agency free service if you are looking for the services of a PR agency.
The Department for International of Trade supports both UK companies trading internationally and overseas enterprises seeking to locate in the UK.