Getting Married in Church
If you’re considering getting married , firstly our congratulations on taking this step. Secondly, if you are considering marrying in either of the churches in the parish (Church of the Saviour & St Michael's) you might find the following information useful.
In October 2008 the rules on who could get married in a particular church were relaxed, but a couple, or at least one of you, still has to demonstrate what is known as a ‘Qualifying Connection’ to a particular church in order to be married there.
If you currently live in Chell you can get married in either of the churches.
If you attend either of the churches on a regular basis, but live outside the parish, you may also qualify to have your marriage service in one of the two churches.
If neither of the above apply to you, you will have to demonstrate a Qualifying Connection with the parish. A person has a Qualifying Connection with a parish if:
• was baptised in the parish. (This does not apply where the baptism formed part of a combined service of baptism or confirmation); or
• had his/her confirmation entered in our church registers; or
• has at any time had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
• has at any time habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
or a Parent of that person has at any time during that person’s lifetime:
• had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
• habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
or a Parent or Grandparent of that person was married in the parish.
If you would like to make an enquiry about getting married in Church of the Saviour or St Michael's, please telephone Stephen on 01782 838708.
If either yourself or your partner have been married before and the marriage ended in divorce, we may agree to marry you in church under certain circumstances. To find out more about this please contact the vicar (details are on this website).
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about whether you would have a Qualifying Connection or any other questions about getting married in church.